Aldo gets rematch with Holloway in new UFC 218 main-event
November 11th, 2017 by Mike Coughlin
Little Caesars Arena
Jose Aldo will fight Max Holloway in the main-event of UFC 218, replacing the injured Frankie Edgar, who just pulled out of said fight this past Wednesday.
It will be a rematch of their June fight, where Holloway defeated the Brazilian en route to becoming UFC Featherweight Champion. This is what it looked like when Aldo went down:
That fight united Holloway’s interim belt with Aldo’s belt, which had also been an interim strap. Conor McGregor still claims to be FW champion and the UFC markets him as such, which one can see in this here video game cover.
This essentially returns the card to the same status as before: deep on paper with lots of good fights and a solid main-event on top, but odds are it won’t light the world on fire business wise.
Aldo was scheduled to fight Ricardo Lamas, also in December, so this is an upgrade for him. Not so much for Lamas, who doesn’t yet have a named replacement opponent.
Matt and I will talk about this more on the next episode of MMA & STUFF, I’m guessing.
[WATCH] UFC 218 FREE LIVE STREAM (of consciousness) RESULTS & RECAP
- Featherweight Max Holloway (c) vs. Jose Aldo
- Heavyweight Alistair Overeem vs. Francis Ngannou
- Flyweight Henry Cejudo vs. Sergio Pettis
- Lightweight Eddie Alvarez vs. Justin Gaethje
- Women’s Strawweight Tecia Torres vs. Michelle Waterson
- Lightweight Charles Oliveira vs. Paul Felder
- Welterweight Alex Oliveira vs. Yancy Medeiros
- Lightweight David Teymur vs. Drakkar Klose
- Women’s Strawweight Felice Herrig vs. Cortney Casey
- Welterweight Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Sabah Homasi
- Light Heavyweight Jeremy Kimball vs. Dominick Reyes
- Women’s Strawweight Amanda Cooper vs. Angela Magaña
- Heavyweight Justin Willis vs. Allen Crowder
BUY UFC 218 STUFF