An Ongoing History of the Recent Stupid UFC Interim Title Creations and Other Dumb Match Making Decisions
January 13th, 2018 by Mike Coughlin
The Basement of the Company that Makes Title Belts
I’ve decided this will be my new white whale: the current UFC regime’s stupid policy towards titles. After so many years of doing an outstanding job of protecting the integrity of their titles, often having fights of lesser importance headline simply because a few pounds of shiny was at stake, the UFC went out, strained its back as it squatted over a symbolic belt, grabbed hold of the towel bar, and slowly let slip a stream of shit that piles higher and higher every day.
Now, Vince Russo has somehow come up with $4b and is running around booking shit. Titles not only mean less than ever but the company is legit finding new ways every few weeks to find a new bottom. The UFC is the addict moving on to more and more destructive drugs. The drug making its way through the UFC’s system is having interim title matches and we’re gonna watch and laugh and point while we laugh at all of these decisions.
This will be the running tally of each new creative way WMEI 97.9 runs the prestige of a UFC Championship into the ground, further and further down to the core of the earth.
Recent UFC Title Fuckery
- Interim Featherweight Title – Jose Aldo, which was later promoted to a real title a week before they created…
- Interim Featherweight Title – Max Holloway
- Interim Lightweight Title – almost Nurmagomedov or Ferguson
- Interim Light Heavyweight Title – Jon Jones, for a belt that Cormier holds, itself once an interim strap for Jones’s prior belt, the one Jones never lost
- Women’s Featherweight Title – Germaine de Randamie
- Women’s Flyweight Title fuckery
- Interim Middleweight Title match Won by Robert Whittaker and within a minute mocked by Bisping in the middle of the cage.
- New UFC Women’s Featherweight Champion after first and only Champion never has a single attempted defense
- Another attempt to create an Interim Lightweight Title. They’re determined to have one, I guess. Assholes.
- Some women’s 125 lb title exists now
- GSP wins a belt then drops it in a month so a previous interim champion is now real champion.
- For the second time in a year, there will be an interim middleweight championship. I fucking love this company.
UFC products you can actually buy!