You couldn’t play a more perfect game of football if you were Liverpool. West Ham isn’t Man City and one game isn’t a season but I’m not sure there was a single second when this game wasn’t a route. A quick recap of exactly what happened today:
- Liverpool get their 500th Premier League win.
- Alisson makes his Liverpool debut, keeping a clean sheet, even if he had little to do.
- Naby Keita debuts and looks every bit the missing midfield piece this squad has needed. He could’ve been man of the match except…
- Sadio Mane nets two. I think he puts away 30 this year and is the club’s top scorer.
- Mo Salah opened up scoring for the Reds, tapping in a gimme from half a foot out, sliding it past a non-existent manager. Of course he was the first man to score.
- And Daniel Sturridge has figured out how to avoid injury: come on for a corner in the 90th minute, move one yard, raise leg, kick ball into goal, celebrate slowly.
— Mike Coughlin Never Walks Alone (@FreeBearly) August 12, 2018
This is how you start a season. This is Liverpool football.